Terms & Conditions
When you, the Converge Intern or Host, complete the online application, you are indicating your agreement to the following Terms & Conditions, including the Memorandum of Understanding.
Memorandum of Understanding
This Memorandum of Understanding represents an agreement between Converge, the Host, and the Intern. When you submit your online application, you are affirming your role and responsibilities, especially from the time each intern applies to the internship to the time he or she returns to his or her point of origin.
- Onboard Hosts and vet them through YWAM references.
- Process Intern applications, check references, and make informed recommendations to internship Hosts regarding each applicant.
- Post and share approved internship opportunities via the Converge website, social media, and other communications.
- Provide an Intern dashboard which includes a social share mechanism for fundraising.
- Provide and facilitate online pre-departure orientation and training for Interns.
- Provide instruction, support, and evaluation for the host and the internship Project.
- Mediate between the Host and Intern if an issue arises related to the safety of the Intern(s), and the willingness or ability of the Intern(s) to fulfill these agreed upon responsibilities.
- Serve as point of contact for the Host and Intern’s family in the case of medical emergency or evacuation. The intern is required to purchase a Travel Protection plan or another comparable policy. Converge recommends the Volunteer Card.
- Pay a $25 USD registration fee to be enrolled in the online pre-departure orientation.
- Choose a personal mentor from the Intern’s home community, and meet with the mentor regularly throughout the pre-departure orientation and remotely during the internship.
- Raise funds and/or make all internship payments on time and maintain responsibility for personal expenses. Internship fees include transportation between the port of entry and the internship location, accommodation, food, local transportation, and Converge Course administration. Fees do not include transportation between the Intern’s home and internship location, visas, personal travel, travel and health insurance, entertainment, personal hygiene items, laundry, wifi (unless indicated by the Host), etc.
- Purchase travel insurance that includes emergency medical evacuation. The intern may choose to purchase and be auto-approved for the Converge Volunteer Card Travel Protection plan or another comparable policy.Complete the pre-departure orientation prior to departure for the internship.
- Participate in all required community meetings, including worship gatherings at the host location.Complete all Converge Course assignments on time.
- Listen, observe, volunteer services, and make the best of constructive criticism.Maintain a positive attitude and respect confidentiality.
- Abide by the community guidelines set by the Host, including dress code, safety requirements, and internship roles and responsibilities.
- Meet with the Host for weekly one-on-one check-ins.Complete an evaluation of Converge on the final day of the internship.
- Affirm that the Converge Internship is not a part-time job, and no monetary compensation is to be provided and/or no employment offer after the internship term is expected.
- Give consent for treatment in the event of an emergency and release Youth With A Mission from any liability arising out of any injury, damage, or loss as stated in the following two paragraphs:
- Accurately represent the internship responsibilities, context, safety and other concerns, and accommodation on the Host application.
- Respond to Converge’s recommendation regarding an Intern’s application within 5 business days.
- Provide transportation to and from the port of entry at the beginning and end of the internship.
- Facilitate the Intern’s orientation to the internship and organizational expectations, responsibilities, and schedule, including introducing the Intern to his or her direct supervisor.
- Provide safe and clean accommodation, food, and transportation during the Intern’s stay with your organization. Food and accommodation may be with a homestay, with a dorm and cafeteria, or with colleagues in a shared apartment, as indicated on the Internship listing approved on the Converge site.
- Be available as a resource and advisor for the Intern’s assignments, including Enculturation, Community Mapping, Interviews, and the Final Project.
- Review and approve the Intern’s Project proposal.
- Provide ongoing meaningful feedback, including both affirmation and constructive criticism, especially during a weekly one-on-one meeting.
- Provide an end of internship evaluation of the Intern and debriefing interview with the Intern.Hold a copy of the intern’s Travel Protection policy, which is required for all Converge Interns. Converge recommends the Volunteer Card.
- Seek immediate medical care for the Intern in the event of the accident or illness. This may include transporting the Intern to and advocating for the Intern at a local or regional medical facility, and/or contacting an emergency medical evacuation company. Converge should also be contacted in any case requiring hospitalization or evacuation once medical help has been sought for the Intern.
In the event of injury or illness of the Converge Intern while in association with YOUTH WITH A MISSION, I hereby agree to the performance of such treatment, anaesthetics, and operations as, in the opinion of the attending physician, as deemed necessary.
I hereby release YOUTH WITH A MISSION/CONVERGE PROGRAM (Registered as UOFN STUDENT MOBILIZATION CENTRE OF YOUTH WITH A MISSION, INC. FID: 54-1882074), its agents, employees, and volunteer assistants from any liability whatsoever arising out of any injury, damage, or loss which may be sustained during the course of my involvement with UOFN STUDENT MOBILIZATION CENTRE OF YOUTH WITH A MISSION, INC.
Confirming Agreement to this Memorandum of Understanding
In lieu of a signature, the submission of your application is your acknowledgement that you have read and agree to the responsibilities listed on this Memorandum of Understanding and these Terms and Conditions.
By submitting your application, Hosts are also giving Youth With A Mission permission to publish their internship opportunity page, including the description and photos you provide.
By submitting your application, Interns are also giving Youth With A Mission permission to publish your personal profile page (including the personal bio and photos which you provide, and description of the internship for which you have been accepted).
Converge will not publish personal contact information.
Application is free. However, Interns are required to pay a non-refundable Registration Fee of $25, by check, credit card, or wire transfer, due immediately upon acceptance to the Converge Program. The Registration Fee holds the Intern’s place on a Converge internship.
The Converge Intern must pay the Registration Fee and provide the name and email of a Mentor of his/her own choosing BEFORE he/she will be enrolled in the Converge Course.
The Converge Intern agrees to pay the applicable Field Fees determined by the Host. A Personal Profile Page is provided for all accepted Interns, which includes a designated DONATE button where donors may make contributions to scholarship the Intern’s trip.
The total Field Fees payment is due in full no later than 10 days before the start day of the Internship Session. All Field Fees must be received at the Converge office by this deadline.
If the Field Fees are not paid in full within the deadline, and the Converge Intern has not been granted an extension by Converge in writing, the Intern’s acceptance will be canceled and the Converge cancellation and Refund Policy will apply for any funds paid. Monies paid by a Converge Intern who has been canceled may be held for up to one year and credited to a later Converge Session, or transferred from the Intern’s reserve account to another at the discretion of Converge.
Travel & Personal Expenses
The Converge Intern is responsible for his/her own travel arrangements and personal expense during the program. The Converge Intern agrees to take personal responsibility for his/her own effects and Converge will not be held responsible for any loss or damage of personal effects. Converge cannot be held responsible for a country’s decision to refuse entry, exit, or the right of passage. The Cancellation and Refund Policy will take effect for participants denied entry to a country where there is a Converge Host Location, or who cannot travel on the program for any reason, except for those noted in the Terms & Conditions. (NOTE: All Converge Interns must have travel insurance equal to or better than our recommended Travel Protection plan. Interns may use the following link to purchase and be auto-approved and automatically associated with the Volunteer Card Travel Protection plan.)
The participant is responsible for informing Converge of any physical or medical condition, including mental health conditions, at least 60 days prior to the start date. Converge reserves the right to require documentation from a medical practitioner verifying that the participant is fit and able to undertake the Converge program, and Converge reserves the right to cancel a Converge Intern’s program on the grounds of the medical practitioner’s comments.
Applicable discounts, as described on the Converge website at the time of enrollment, will be applied to the balance of the Field Fees after enrollment. Should the discount no longer apply to your Field Fees, due to a change in start dates or participants, the Converge Intern is responsible for paying the new balance of the Field Fee within the deadlines provided in the Fees section of the Terms & Conditions.
The Alumni Discount will be applied to any participant who has previously completed a Converge program.
The Alumni Discount will be applied to any Converge Intern who enrolls for more than one Converge program and is contingent upon successful completion of the first program. The Alumni Discount will not apply to the first Converge program completed. Should the Converge Intern not participate in the first program, the Alumni Discount will be removed, and the remaining balance of the Field Fee will be due as per the payment deadlines based on the date of withdrawal from the first program.
Cancellation & Refunds
If cancelled more than 40 days before session start...
Field fee, not including the Registration Fee
If cancelled more than 40 days before session start...
No refund will be provided.
If cancelled between 11 and 40 days before session start...
50% of the full Field Fee, not including Registration Fee
Refund Policy: Eligibility and Calculation
Contributions made by anyone other than the Intern themselves will not be refunded. Any contributions made, including and especially those that receive tax-deductible receipts in the USA, are not refundable under any circumstance. Those contributions will be held as scholarship funding for a later Converge session for the originally designated Converge Intern or for future Converge Interns at the discretion of YWAM Converge.
Refund Amount = [Amount Intern Directly Paid In Addition To The Deposit] – [[(Total Field Fee) – (Deposit Paid)] * (Percent of Remaining Fee Eligible for Refund)]
If a Converge Intern must cancel and is not eligible for a refund, those funds may be placed on file for use by the originally designated Converge Intern for up to one year from the original Converge session start date.
Should the amount calculated exceed the amount that the Converge Intern paid directly, separate from the Registration Fee, the refund will be adjusted to be only the amount that the Converge Intern paid directly. The Registration Fee is not considered for those funds paid directly by the Converge Intern.
If funds are received on or after the start date, from either the Converge Intern or from a donor, those scholarship funds will remain on file to be applied toward scholarships for another Converge session by the same Converge Intern for one year after the original start date. These funds are not eligible for a refund.
Converge reserves the right to refuse to offer the Converge program to anyone for any reason, to cancel a Converge Intern’s participation in the program, or to cancel the start date or program in which the Converge Intern is scheduled to participate. If the Converge Intern is canceled from the program, space may not be available on the selected start date should the Converge Intern try to re-enroll.
In the event that your program is canceled by Converge for non-payment of the full Field Fee by the due date, or for non-submission of paperwork by the required due date, the Converge Refund Policy will take effect as of the effective date of the cancellation, which may be after the due date. Please note that this includes not submitting the Health & Emergency Information Form with the correct health details required, or corresponding paperwork required as a result of any medical conditions disclosed.
When a Converge Intern is enrolled for more than one program location or Converge session, each program location or session will be treated individually in the case of a cancellation, as long as separate Field Fees were paid for each program.
Other than such refunds as stated above, Converge will not be responsible to the Converge Intern for any other refund, costs, interest, liability, or damages of any kind. The Converge Intern is solely responsible for any airfare or other travel fees, charges, expenses, or penalties that may result from any cancellation or change in the Converge Intern’s program, whether the Converge Intern cancels the program or it is canceled or altered by Converge.
It is very important that the Intern understands the cancellation policy. If it is not clear, the Converge Intern should ask for clarification. Converge cannot make exceptions to this cancellation policy for any reason, including medical emergencies. Converge requires all Converge Interns to obtain travel insurance, including trip cancellation insurance. (NOTE: All Converge Interns must have travel insurance equal to or better than our recommended Travel Protection plan. Use the following link to purchase and be auto-approved and automatically associated with the YVolunteer Card Travel Protection plan.)
No refunds will be given for unused portions of the Converge program due to cancellations or terminations that become effective on or after the start date, whether initiated by Converge or the Intern, or because of the Converge Intern’s failure or inability to complete the Converge program.
Reimbursement for Travel Expenses
In addition to accepting payments and donations toward Field Fees, Converge accepts donations that may be directed toward a Converge Intern’s Travel Expenses (including Visa fees, travel related vaccinations, and air or ground travel expenses). Payments and Donations will be credited first to all Field Fees, then funds may be disbursed as reimbursements for directly related Travel Expenses. Converge Interns may request reimbursement for directly related Travel Expenses if and when the following conditions are met: 1) After all Field Fees are paid in full, 2) Designated donations to a Converge Intern’s Fees have been received in full in the Converge offices, 3) Proper receipts are submitted to the Converge offices within 60 days of the date on the receipt or up until 7 days after the final day of the Session, whichever is first.
Changes to Session Start Date or Converge Internship Location
Converge allows Converge Interns to change their Session Start Date, Converge Internship Location, or length of stay, dependent on program availability. In addition, participants can use their designated scholarship funds on file, as per the Cancellation & Refund Policy, to enroll in a future Converge program, should these funds be available to the Converge Intern.
The Registration Fee of $25 USD can be waived if a Converge Intern re-registers after cancellation, due to any changes to the Converge Internship Location and Session Start Date. The Registration Fee must be used within one year of the original Session Start Date. After that time, or after the second use of the Registration Fee, that Registration Fee amount is forfeited, and the Converge Intern must place a new Registration Fee to enroll in a future Converge Session.
All requests for changes to a Converge Intern’s Session Start Date must be received in writing by the Converge office. Changes to the Session Start Date within the Converge Internship Location and for the same length of stay can be made without penalty if made more than 70 days in advance of the original Session Start Date.
If the Converge Intern changes their Converge Internship Location or length of stay in the program, the Converge Intern will be responsible for the difference in the Field Fees between the original program selected and the program fee for the newly-selected program, using the rates published on the website as of the date the switch became effective. Any additional funds owed to Converge must be received as per the Converge Field Fee deadlines as of the date of the switch.
Should the change to the Converge Internship Location or duration of stay result in a reduced Field Fee for the Converge Intern, the Converge Cancellation and Refund Policy will apply for the difference between the original and new Field Fee.
The Converge Intern is responsible for notifying Converge, in writing, if a sponsor donation has been made and the due date for the Field Fee has not been changed. Otherwise, the Converge Intern may be subject to cancellation for non-payment of the Field Fee should the full payment not be received at least 10 days in advance of the Start Date of the Session.
Converge Interns are responsible for accurately representing the Converge program on any external fundraising sites or on any fundraising communications. Converge is not responsible for misrepresentations made by Converge Interns to sponsors regarding the Converge program. Converge has the right to reject donations made to a Converge Intern’s scholarship fund if the Converge Intern claims that the contributions will be used for any other purpose than fundraising for the Field Fee, the Converge Intern’s Travel Expenses, or donating to the Converge fund. The Converge Intern is responsible for ensuring that their name is provided to Converge in conjunction with any third-party fundraising site.
If a Converge Intern is using a third-party fundraising site (e.g. GoFundMe), it is the Converge Intern’s responsibility to review the Terms & Conditions of that site, including any processing fees and timelines for payment of fees to Converge, to ensure the Field Fee is paid by the due date. Typically, the full payment must be received no later than 10 days before the Field Fee due date (or Session Start Date) to ensure that funds are received by Converge.
Terms and Conditions Agreement
These Terms & Conditions are agreed to between YWAM Ocean City, NJ (aka UofN Student Mobilization Centre of Youth With A Mission, Inc.), the Converge Intern whose name is reflected on the Converge Intern enrollment form, and the cardholder whose name is reflected in the payment details. This agreement is made on the day of the enrollment and becomes legally binding upon submission of the enrollment form.